评论

IF ONLY引导的虚拟语气以及IF ONLY与ONLY IF的区别

原标题:IF ONLY引导的虚拟语气以及IF ONLY与ONLY IF的区别

IF ONLY is used to introduce a wish, especially one felt to be unrealizable.

IF ONLY引导的是虚拟条件句,用来表达愿望,尤其是难以实现的愿望,意思为“要是……就好了,但愿……”。

IF ONLY:

IF ONLY in the future:

Meaning: A wish for the future

Form: IF ONLY + subject + would + base form of verb

◆ We use IF ONLY + (would + base form of verb) to express a wish in the future:

表达与将来事实相反的愿望,使用would + 原形动词。

★ Andy is feeling lonely. So, he says:

“If only someone would come to visit me.”

安迪感到很孤独。所以,他说:

“要是有人来看我就好了。”

★ If only I would win the lottery.

要是我中了彩票就好了。

★ If only someone would offer me a job.

要是有人给我提供一份工作就好了。

★ I’m sure he is up to the job if only he would give his mind to it.

要是他用心做,我肯定他能胜任这份工作。

IF ONLY in the present:

Meaning: A wish for the present

Form: IF ONLY + subject + past simple

◆ We use IF ONLY + past simple to express a wish in the present:

表达与现在事实相反的愿望,使用一般过去时。

★ David would like to buy a computer but he has no money. So, he says:

大卫想买一台电脑,但他没有钱。所以,他说:

“If only I had more money.”

“要是我有更多的钱就好了。”

★ If only I had a car.

要是我有一辆车就好了。

★ If only the town had high-speed Internet access.

要是这个镇上有高速互联网就好了。

◆ Form: IF ONLY + subject + past continuous

★ If only it weren’t raining.

要是现在不下雨就好了。

★ If only my phone were working.

要是我的手机现在能用就好了。

IF ONLY in the past:

Meaning: A wish to change something from the past (It’s impossible to change the past. We are expressing regrets.)

Form: IF ONLY + subject + past perfect

◆ We use IF ONLY + past perfect to express a wish in the past:

表达与过去事实相反的愿望,使用过去完成时。

★ If only I had worked harder at school.

要是我在学校的时候更努力地学习就好了。

★ If only the explosion had not happened, those people would not have been killed.

要是没发生那次爆炸,那些人就不会死去。

★ Look at the terrible situation I’m in! if only I had followed your advice.

看我现在的处境多糟糕。要是我听了你的劝告该多好。

ONLY IF:

◆ ONLY IF expresses the idea that there is only one condition that will cause a particular result.

ONLY IF (只有…才能…、除非…才会…) 是一个限制性条件句,表达唯一的条件,只有当某一条件满足了,才会达到某一特定的结果。

★ You are allowed to be absent only if a medical note is provided.

只有在提供医疗证明的情况下,你才允许缺席。

★ You'll lose weight only if you stick to your diet.

只有坚持节食,你才能减肥。

★ She was authorized to speak only if she remains anonymous.

只有在保持匿名的情况下,她才被授权发言。

◆ Only if放在句首要用倒装结构。

★ Only if he works hard will Andy be able to regain control of the company.

安迪只有努力工作,才能重新控制这家公司。

★ Only if we understand conflict can we understand hunger.

只有了解了冲突,我们才能明白饥饿。

★ Only if you study hard, will you pass the test.

只有努力学习,你才能通过考试。

★ Only if a teacher has given permission is a student allowed to leave the room.

只有在得到老师允许的情况下,学生才可以离开教室。

IF ONLY (要是……就好了,但愿……)

ONLY IF (只有…才能…、除非…才会…)

怎么来记住这两个词呢?都以第一个词为中心,IF ONLY的重点在IF上,ONLY只是起到加强IF的作用,加强了这个愿望,翻译成“要是……就好了,但愿……”;ONLY IF的重点在ONLY (只有) 上,所以翻译成“只有…才能…、除非…才会…”。

If you found this article useful, please like and share it. Thanks a million.

如若觉得这篇文章有所帮助,麻烦亲爱的亲亲们帮忙点赞和分享!!! 万分感谢!!!返回搜狐,查看更多

责任编辑:

声明:该文观点仅代表作者本人,搜狐号系信息发布平台,搜狐仅提供信息存储空间服务。
发布于:北京市
阅读 ()
大家都在看
推荐阅读
免费获取
今日搜狐热点
今日推荐