1. I won’t think _____ of him because of his shortcomings. He is a good
boy after all.
A. much B. little C. any less D. any more
2. ----Which share is meant for me?
----You can take ______ half. They are exactly the same.
A. this B. any C. each D. either
3. This book is written in _____ easy English _____ beginners can understand.
A. such ; that B. so; that C. such; as D. too; that
4. What a pity! I missed meeting my boss at the airport because my car was
_________ in the traffic jam.
A. broken up B. kept back C. held up D. kept up
5. The girl seldom, if ______, turned to her brother for protection.
A. never B. ever C. always D. then
6. ----What a hot day! Have you had a drink?
----Yes, but I’d like to have _______ after class.
A. it B. another C. that D. one
7. If you keep practicing your son in football, he ______ to be a famous
A. wants B. hopes D. wishes D. promises
8. This crop does not do well in soils _______ the one for which it has
been specially developed.
A. outside B. other than C. beyond D. rather than
9. --- Excuse me, may I ask you some questions?
--- Sorry, I’m too busy and haven’t got even a minute to __________.
A. spend B. spare C. share D. stop
10. If you want to see a doctor, you fix a date with him ahead of time. That
is a common ________ in the USA.
A. sense B. rule C. practice D. reality
11. ----＄500, but that is my last offer.
----OK, it is a _________.
A. cost B. price C. reward D. deal
12. This book is said to be a special one, which ________ many events not found
in other history books.
A. writes B. covers C. prints D. reads
13. I have been studying computer for several years and I still ________.
A. have B. do C. have been D. am
14. ----Remember the first time we met, Jim?
----Of course I do. You ________ in the library.
A. were reading B. had read C. have read D. read
15. As senior 3 students, it is the most important to _______ a good state
of mind in face of failure.
A. keep up B. keep on C. keep out D. keep off
16. ----Did you visit the famous museum?
----No. We _________ it, but we spent too much time shopping.
A. could have visited B. must have visited
C. can’t have visited D. shouldn’t have visited
17. ----I rang you at about ten, but there was no reply.
----Oh, that was probably _____ I was seeing the doctor.
A. when B. why C. what D. that
18. ----Could I use yours?
----I’m sorry, it isn’t here. I’d get it for you ______ I could
remember who borrowed it.
A. except that B. now that C. if only D. even though
19. Steven has a lot of work to ______ in the office since he has been
away for quite a few days.
A. take up B. make up C. work out D. carry out
20. A fifteen- year-old girl came _____ to the bus stop only ____ the
bus had gone.
A. running, to find B. to run, to find
C. and run, found D. running, finding
21. The taxi had to _______ because the traffic light had turned red.
A. set up B. shut up C. catch up D. pull up
22. Is this research center ____ we visited the modern equipment last year?
A. where B. that C. the one that D. which
23. She is wondering ______ to deal with next.
A. what B. which C. how D. why
24. ----Have you seen _____ pen? I left it here this morning.
----Is it ____ black one? I think I saw it somewhere.
A. a, the B. the, the C. the, a D. a, a
25. I kept this picture _____ I can see it every day as it reminds me of
my university days.
A. in which B. where C. when D. whether
26. The boss _________ 30 dollars from my salary without any good reason.
A. brought down B. kept back C. cut off D. held up
27. ----which one can I take?
----You can take ______ of them; I’ll keep none.
A. both B. any C. neither D. all
28. ----Did you give him the book?
----Yes. I gave it to him _______ I saw him.
A. once B. hurriedly C. while D. directly
29. We have reached the point _____ a change is needed.
A. which B. when C. that D. where
30. ----May I go and play with Tom this afternoon, Mum?
----No. You can’t go out _____ your homework is being done.
A. before B. as C. until D. after
1. He learned to speak the language so quickly and well that he ______
have been taken for a native speaker .
A . must B . could C . should D . need
2. The theory he’s stuck _______ us that earthquakes can be forecast .
A . to prove B . to proves
C . to proves to D . which to prove
3. As soon as the couple realized that they didn’t love each other any more,
A. fell off B. cut in C. broke up D. stood by
4. Engines are to machines _______ hearts are to animals .
A . that B . what C . where D . which
5. When I walked in , Professor Li was sitting at his desk , the newspaper ______ before him .
A . spreads B .to be spread C . spread D .was spreading
6. ----- I hear the workers in the factory get paid by _____ week .
---- Correct, and most of them get about 300 yuan _____week .
A . / ; a B . the ; / C . a ; the D . the ; a
7. ---- Well ,lost again !
---- It is not very important . We _____ forget about it . OK ?
A .can’t B. might as soon
C. might as well D .ought to have had to
8. This movie is _____ boring ; it is , in fact , rather exciting and interesting .
A . anything but B . nothing but C . no more D . all but
9. You’ll have to wait one more week , ______ the manager will be back from his trip .
A . while B . until C . when D . before
10. —I can’t find Mr .Smith .Where did you last see him this morning?
—It was in the hotel_______ he stayed.
A. that B. where C. which D. since
11. I just don’t understand_______ that prevents so many Americans from being as happy as one might expect.
A .why it does B. what it does C. what it is D. why it is
12. We didn’t plan our art exhibition like that but it ________ very well.
A. worked out B. tried out C. went on D. carried on
13. I do feel ______ Chinese language is ______ most difficult language .
A . a ;the B . the ; / C . / ; a D . the ; a
14. See what you’ve done ! Don’t you have a ______ of right or wrong ?
A . feeling B . thought C . sense D . knowledge
15. In 2003 the Chinese people were always in high spirits , for pieces of exciting news came to China ______ .
A . step by step B . one by one
C . little by little D . one after another
16. _____ people study Latin today than 50 years ago , and still _____ people study Greek .
A . A fewer ; a fewer B . Fewer ; a fewer
C . Fewer ; fewer D . A fewer ; fewer
17. His words puzzled me so much that I had a hard time trying to ________ what he really meant.
A. make out B. make off C. make up D. make for
18. Don’t mention that at the beginning of the story, or it may _________ the shocking end.
A. give away B. give out C. give up D. give off
19. The plan _______ simply because people were unwilling to co-operate.
A. broke down B. pulled down C. turned down D. put down.
20. Why do we have to _______ Sue’s selfish behavior? We have to teach her to care for others.
A. get over with B. hang out with C. make up with D. put up with
21. It looks as if they are going to _______ us a lot of money for the concert hall.
A. demand B. cost C. charge D. ask
22. --- Where does Mr. Green come from?
--- I’m not sure, but his accent ____________ Australia.
A. suggests B. sounds C. advises D. shows
23. I’ve visited lots of places and stayed in varieties of hotels, but none of them ________ this one.
A. suits B. beats C. compares D. matches
24. To everyone’s surprise, the fashionable young lady __________ to be a thief.
A. found out B. made out C. worked out D. turned out
25. --- What do you think of the contest?
--- I was told that the English Speech Contest ______ successfully last night.
A. went along B. went down C. went off D. went on
26. They ________ the train until it disappeared in the distance.
A. saw B. watched C. noticed D. observed
27. We thought of selling this old furniture, but we’ve decided to ______ it. It might be valuable.
A. hold on to it B. keep up with C. turn to D. look after
28. Can you make a sentence to __________ the meaning of the phrase?
A. show off B. turn out C. bring out D. take in
29. --- Mummy, can I put the peaches in the cupboard?
--- No, dear. They don’t ________ well. Put them in the fridge instead.
A. keep B. fit C. get D. last
30. When I opened the door, a parcel on the floor _________ my eye.
A. met B. caught C. drew D. attracted
1. News reports say peace talks between the two countries have _______ with no agreement reached.
A. broke down B. broke out C. broke in D. broke up
2. The falling of the new building _______ its soft base.
A. resulted in B. suffered from C. led to D. lay in
3. The engine of the ship was out of order and the bad weather ________ the helplessness of the crew at sea.
A. added to B. resulted from C. turned out D. made up
4. --- Why haven’t you bought any butter?
--- I _________ to but I forgot about it.
A. liked B. wished C. meant D. expected
5. --- Do you think the Stars will beat the Bulls?
--- Yes. They have better players, so I __________ them to win.
A. hope B. prefer C. expect D. want
6. _________ him and then try to copy what he does.
A. Mind B. Glance at C. Stare at D. Watch
7. All the leading newspapers _______ the trade talks between China and the United States.
A. reported B. printed C. announcedD. published
8. The thing that ____ is not whether you fail or not, but whether you try or not.
A. matters B. cares C. considers D. minds
9. It is wise to have some money ________ for one’s old age.
A. put awayB. kept upC. given away D. laid up
10. I love to go to the seaside in summer. Itgood to lie in the sun or swim inthe cool sea.
A. does B. feels C. gets D. makes
11. What you said just now _________ me of that American professor.
A. mentioned B. informedC. reminded D. memorized
12. Our English teacher _______ our buying a good English-Chinese dictionary.
A. asked B. orderedC. suggested D. required
13. Every classroom in this modern school is ________ with a new TV set.
A. equipped B. installed C. fixed D. placed
14. Happily for John’s mother, he is working harder to _______ his lost time.
A. make up for B. keep up withC. catch up with D. make use of
15. I really don’t want to go to the party, but I don’t see how I can it.
A. get back from B. get out of C. get away D. get off
16. I don’t know the restaurant, but it’s __________to be quite a good one.
A. said B. told C. spoken D. talked
17. --- What did you think of her speech?
---- She _________ for one hour but didn’t __________ much.
A. spoke; speakB. spoke; say C. said; speak D. said; say
18. It seems difficult to _______ “hurt” from “injure” in meaning.
A. judge B. tell C. divide D. separate
19. Some of the students have already learned enough English to ________ a conversation with an English speaker.
A. go on B. carry on C. keep on D. hold on
20. Important people don’t often have much free time as their work _______ all their time.
A. takes away B. takes up C. takes over D. takes in
21. --- Why did you eat your words, Billy?
--- Sorry, dear. But I really forgot where I was _________ to meet you.
A. demanded B. imagined C. supposed D. guessed
22. Nothing _____________ after the terrible fire which had been caused by someone smoking in bed.
A. remained B. continued C. left D. kept
23. It was dark. We decided to _______ for the night at a farmhouse.
A. put away B. put down C. put up D. put on
24. With the weather worsening, they have ________ the voyage from London to Australia.
A. called off B. called in C. called out D. called for
25. --- Mum, it’s nice weather. I want to skate this afternoon.
--- Don’t you think the ice on the lake is too thin to ______ your weight?
A. stand B. bear C. catch D. take
26. --- What’s the matter with you?
--- After such a long walk, my legs _______ and I couldn’t go any further.
A. gave out B. gave off C. gave in D. gave up
27. He is unfit for the job, which _______ patience and creativeness.
A. calls in B. calls off C. calls for D. calls up
28. The happy look on his face ______ that he had passed the exam successfully.
A. explained B. suggested C. expressed D. described
29. John has put on so much weight recently that his mother has to _______ all his trousers to his measure.
A. let out B. give away C. bring in D. make up
30. Afraid of being scolded by the teacher, Tom ______ a story to explain why he was late.
A. wrote B. provided C. told D. invented
1. --Who is the man talking to the teacher ?
---A model worker___________ our school .
A. visits B. is visiting C. visited D. visiting
2. ----Do you still remember when we went to Nanjing ?
------I can’t remember now but ________sometime last summer?
A. might it be B. could it be
C. could it have been D. should it have been
3. You should keep those old jam bottles -----you never know ______ you might need them.
A. when B. how. C. what D .Where
4. Dolly, _____ sheep, the world’s first cloned animal, was given ______ shot to end her life on Feb.14 because she was suffering from a lung disease common in much older sheep.
A./,a B. the, a C. a, the D. a, a
5. Loulan city is not at all _______a traveler who has never seen the desert before can expect.
A. what B. that C .which D. where
6. It’s too late to set out for watching the sunrise now, ______,it’s starting to rain.
A. besides B. meanwhile C. however D. anyhow
7. ____the end of last term, everybody here in the school, I think ,has taken at least eight math tests.
A. By B. Since C. At D. From
8. Recently, CCTV station has taken great pains to make a program which review the important ________of 2003.
A. affairs B. events C. matters D. things
9. ----Do you have anything in mind ________you’d like for supper ?
----Well, ________will do for me.
A. which, everything B. that, anything C. what, whatever D. that, either
10. Determination is a kind of basic quality and this is ______it takes to do jobs well.
A. what B. that. C. which D. why
11.---- Your daughter is too thin.
-----She would gain weight ________she is very particular about food.
A. as long as B. but C. unless D. even if
12. I can’t tell you the exact time when I will get there, maybe at eight or at nine or still later.__________. I’ll be there as early as I can..
A. anyhow B. Thus C. Therefore D. however
13 .How much do you think ___________saved?
A. he has B. has he C. doe she have D. had he
14. There are a lot of computers being shown in the ________Center.
A. computer B. computers’ C. computers D. computer’s
15.The city plans to build a park _______there used to be a lake.
A. where B. that C. in which D. which
16 ----What makes you stay indoors last week?
A Because I caught a bad cold. B. Because of a bad cold.
C. Bad cold as I had D. A bad cold
17. When ____ Brown was born, engaged or married, all ____ Browns were present.
A. / ; the B. the ; / C. a , the D. certain; /
18 .-------Tome has passed the final English Exam.
A. So has he, so have you B. So has he , so you have
C. So he has, so you have D. So he has, so have you
19.----- Do you think that she will finish the job on time. ?
----Sure. So long as she __________to do it in her own way.
A. is leaving B. leaves C. is left D has left.
20. Our bodies are strengthened by taking exercises,________, our minds are developed by learning.
A. likely B. Similarly C. Probably D. Generally
21.----- What place is it ?
----Haven’t you seen that we ________ back where we _________.
A. were, had been B. are, were
C. were, have been D. are , had been
22. ----- Pudong Airport, please. I’ll be there by ten.
-----___________,but I’ll do my best.
A. No problem B. All right. C. I can’t promise. D It’s impossible.
23. -----Have you seen __________Audi car? I parked it here this morning.
-----Is it __________white one? A young woman drove it away just now.
A the, the B. an ,a C. an , the D. the, a
24.---- The light is on. Could you have forgotten to turn it off ?
A. could B. should have C. must D. might have
25. The pizzas are delicious .He’d like _____ third one because ______second is rather too small.
A. a. a B. the, the C. a, the D. the , a
26. Could you show me the portable computer you want ___________.
A. to have it repaired B to repair it
C to have repaired D it repaired
27 .______child is pleased , for______ of them has his own share.
A. Each, each. B. Every, every C Every, each D Each, everyone
28. Hands ____ high, the dancers circled now to the right, now to the left.
A. holding B. were held C. held D. had held
29. _______ my teachers’ help, I wouldn’t have made such great progress.
A. Thanks to B. Owing to C. But for D. As to
30. _______all over the hills and around the lake are wild flowers of different colors.
A. To grow B. Growing C. Grown D. Grow