21. According to recent reports, one of the rare animals, ____ crocodile, is in ____ danger of dying out.
A. a; the B. 不填; a C. 不填; the D. the; 不填
22. --- Why do you look worried?
--- Fred left the company half an hour ago. His work ____ unfinished since.
A. left B. was left C. has left D. has been left
23. --- Did you have any difficulty catching yesterday’s lecture?
--- No. The professor spoke very clearly to make his speech easy ____.
A. understood B. understand
C. understanding D. to understand
24. As the Spring Festival is drawing ____, people are getting busier and busier.
A. near B. nearly C. almost D. closely
25. --- Why did Miss Li leave the job?
--- She ____ for higher wages, but was turned down in the end.
A. broke off B. gave away C. held out D. picked up
26. Persons under 18 ____ not be employed in night work in the United States.
A. can B. may C. will D. shall
27. --- Has Tim started? He said he would join in the party.
--- He ____. He is a man of keeping his word.
A. could have left B. must have left
C. can’t come D. won’t be coming
28. I enjoy ____ when the sun shines bright and then I can take a walk on the beach.
A. it B. that C. this D. them
29. ____ is the case with humans, animals also love their babies.
A. Which B. When C. What D. As
30. --- Is Alice playing both basketball and tennis for your school?
--- She ____. But now she has given up playing basketball.
A. is B. has C. was D. had
31. All the children on the playground stared up into the sky until the noise of the plane ____.
A. gave up B. took off
C. went out D. died away
32. ____ in the care of his grandmother, Ted grew to be a boy with very good manners.
A. Leaving B. To be left
C. To leave D. Left
33. --- Do you think living in the country has advantages?
A. Yes, perfectly B. Yes, it is
C. Well, that depends D. Nothing at all
34. --- How did your interview go?
--- I couldn’t feel ____ about it. I seemed to find an answer for all of the questions.
A. better B. worse C. best D. worst
35. ____ surprises us most is that she doesn’t even know ____ the difference between the two lies.
A. What; where B. What; which
C. What; what D. That; where
It was a market day, so people and traffic had been pouring into the town since early morning. 36 it was an old town, even the main street was very 37 and soon became overcrowded. There was not enough 38 for all the people on the sidewalk at the roadside, 39 they overflowed into the road, 40 danger to their lives from 41 cars and buses, the drivers of 42 were constantly blowing their horns (喇叭) to 43 people to get out of their 44.
Yet it was a(n) 45 scene. Peasants walked along the street, their heads piled high with baskets or beautifully woven blankets which they hoped to 46 to the townsfolk. Men with carts 47 their way along, shouting their goods at the top of their 48. They were selling apples, oranges and grapes --- the 49 of their fields. 50 it all, women in bright summer clothes made their way, laughing and talking, 51 children rushed in and out of the crowds screaming with laughter when they didn’t ask for something they could not have, or crying with 52 because they were lost.
The noise went on all day. People did not even stop for a meal, but preferred to buy bits of meat cooked over a fire or bread or ice-cream from the street sellers. The 53 from this and from all the activities of the day began to collect in the street. And finally, when night at last came, the street 54 and only the rubbish 55 sadly blowing in the cooling night wind.
36. A. Although B. For C. But D. As
37. A. small B. crowded C. narrow D. short
38. A. land B. area C. ground D. room
39. A. and B. however C. or D. then
40. A. having B. causing C. throwing D. being
41. A. passing B. taking C. catching D. driving
42. A. them B. which C. whom D. that
43. A. persuade B. order C. stop D. wait
44. A. road B. way C. sight D. place
45. A. strange B. usual C. colorful D. interesting
46. A. give B. sell C. take D. send
47. A. forced B. walked C. found D. took
48. A. voices B. prices C. heads D. carts
49. A. crops B. result C. harvest D. productions
50. A. Through B. Across C. Above D. After
51. A. while B. as C. when D. whose
52. A. tear B. sorrow C. sadness D. fear
53. A. people B. noise C. rubbish D. business
54. A. emptied B. silenced C. calmed D. changed
55. A. remained B. left C. lay D. piled