21. --- You couldn’t have chosen any gift better for me. --- ____
A. Oh, don’t you like it? B. That’s all right. C. I’m glad you like it so much. D. You have a gift for painting, don’t you?
22. Mr. White was so angry at all ____ Bill was doing ____ he walked out.
A. that； which B. that； that C. what； that D. which； that
23. My parents tried their best to laugh ____ my fears for the coming examination.
A. from B. away C. against D. into
24. He began to ____ because every means ____ tried already.
A． lose heart; has been B. lose heart; had been C. lose his heart; was D. lose his heart; had
25. --- Was the driving pleasant when you vacationed in Mexico last summer? --- No, it ____ for four days when we arrived, so the roads were very muddy.
A. was raining B. would be raining C. had been raining D. have rained
26. We each took ____ tea after having ____ wonderful supper at my uncle’s yesterday.
A. a; 不填 B. 不填; a C. a; a D. the; the
27. --- You could have asked Mr. Johnson for help. He is kind-hearted. --- I ____ that. A whole day ____.
A. forget; wastes B. forgot; was wasted C. forgot; had wasted D. forget; was wasted
28. --- I have just had my bike repaired. --- How much did they ____ for it?
A. spend B. pay C. charge D. cost
29. The harder you study, the more questions you will think of ____.
A. asking B. to ask C. being asked D. to be asked
30. --- You know our manager has been in hospital for days? --- Yes. I wonder if he is ____ better now.
A. any B. more C. fairly D. quite
31. You might as well expect a river to flow backward ____ us carrying out the plan.
A. than stop B. as to stop C. as stop D. so as to stop
32. There ____ no buses, we had to walk home after work yesterday.
A. was B. were C. being D. had
33. I finally was admitted to Chongqing University. Never in all my life ____ so happy.
A. I felt B. did I feel C. I had felt D. had I felt
34. --- The winner of the race is a tall and thin boy with thick glasses. --- Then it ____ be my friend, Mike, who looks like a “meat ball”.
A. mustn’t B. can’t C. might D. should
35. --- Why not take my car to the museum instead of walking? --- No, thanks. ____.
A. I’m used to B. I’m able to C. I’m about to D. I’ve got to
In the company in which I work, each of us is afraid of at least one person. The lower your 36 is, the more people you are afraid of. 37 all the people are afraid of the twelve men at the top who helped 38 and build the company and now own and 39 it.
All these twelve men are 40 now and drained(耗尽) by time and success of energy and ambition. Many have 41 their whole lives here. They seem friendly, slow and 42 when I come upon them in the halls and always courteous(谦恭的) when they 43 with others in the public lifts. They 44 work hard. They hold meetings, make promotions (推销活动), and allow their 45 to be used on announcements that are prepared and issued(发布) by somebody else. Nobody is sure 46 really runs the company, but the company does run.
In the 47 course of a business day I am afraid of Jack Green because my department is part of his department and Jack Green is my 48; Green is afraid of me because most of the work in my department is done for the Sales Department, which is more 49 than his department.
Green distrusts me sometimes. He makes 50 clear to me every now and then that he wishes to see everything 51 out of my department before it’s shown to other departments. I know he doesn’t really mean this. He is 52 busy with his own work to pay that much attention to all of mine, and I’ll bypass (避开) him on most of our assignments (任务) rather than 53 his time and delay their 54 to people who have an immediate 55 for them.
36. A. position B. pay C. salary D. office
37. A. And B. But C. So D. Because
38. A. find B. found C. set D. buy
39. A. like B. enjoy C. help D. direct
40. A. honest B. tired C. elderly D. young
41. A. spent B. used C. wasted D. paid
42. A. strict B. responsible C. content D. honest
43. A. take B. drive C. fly D. ride
44. A. no more B. no longer C. no less D. no shorter
45. A. signs B. marks C. wives D. names
46. A. whom B. who C. that D. which
47. A. normal B. familiar C. easy D. busy
48. A. father B. teacher C. boss D. workmate
49. A. interesting B. useful C. worth D. important
50. A. that B. it C. this D. him
51. A. coming B. making C. producing D. inventing
52. A. too B. very C. quite D. greatly
53. A. use up B. make up C. take up D. break up
54. A. production B. delivery C. value D. time
55. A. order B. book C. need D. question