1. What is the total cost for the woman and her daughter?
A. 100 yuan. B. 50 yuan. C. 150 yuan.
2. At what time will the movie start?
A. 7:45. B. 8:00. C. 8:15.
3. What does the man mean?
A. It is hard for him to forget the exam.
B. The exam is easier than ever thought.
C. He will do better next time.
4. What can we know from the conversation?
A. The man didn’t attend the meeting yesterday.
B. The woman didn’t attend the meeting yesterday.
C. The woman was present at the meeting yesterday.
5. Who has more difficulty in learning maths?
A. Bob. B. Tom. C. Linda.
6. Which month is it now?
A. May. B. June. C. July.
7. What does the woman offer to do for the man?
A. To type his paper.
B. To help him with his research.
C. To organize his notes.
8. Why is the woman so happy?
A. She started carrying a credit card.
B. She got an ID card of her own.
C. She’s got some money belonging to her.
9. What advice does the man give the woman?
A. She must have enough money with her.
B. She should not buy everything she wants.
C. She must care about her credit card and ID card.
10. How much can the woman spend at most with her credit card?
A. $500. B. $1,500. C. $50.
11. When is the man going to give up smoking?
A. At the moment.
B. Next morning.
C. After finishing that pack.
12. Why does the man want to give up smoking?
A. He has to spend more money on it.
B. He feels unwell when he does some running.
C. Both A and B.
13. How does the woman feel about what the man will do?
A. She doubts whether he can stop smoking.
B. She is angry with him.
C. She is satisfied with him.
14. Where does the conversation probably take place?
A. In the office.
B. In the supermarket.
C. In the taxi.
15. What are the two speakers talking about?
A. The dirty car.
B. The heavy traffic.
C. River Street.
16. How much does the woman pay?
A. Eighty-five cents.
B. One dollar.
C. One dollar and fifteen cents.
17. What’s the main idea of the passage?
A. How to spend some money on paper-made bags.
B. How to recycle all of the plastic bags.
C. White pollution.
18. What is the aim of the charging system?
A. To reduce the cost.
B. To cut down the accident.
C. To prevent more white pollution.
19. How long will it take a plastic bag to disappear completely?
A. About 12 years.
B. Around 20 years.
C. More than 200 years.
20. Which of the following hasn’t been mentioned in the report?
A. Paper-made bags.
B. Cloth-made bags.
C. Bamboo-made bags.
21. ---- What is your group _______?
---- One teacher, two boys and a girl.
A. made from B. made of
C. made up of D. made for
22. The total income of the family, _______, 500 yuan a month, can never
cover the living cost.
A. for example B. that is
C. which is D. however
23. You will soon _______ if you continue working day and night like
A. break out B. break down
C. break away D. break off
24. Luckily, thanks to the fire fighters’ great help, people in the
building _______ to escape the big fire.
A. managed B. tried C. succeeded D. meant
25. ---- Finally I got to my grandmother’s home on foot.
---- Really? You _______ a ride there.
A. must have taken B. could have taken
C. shouldn’t have taken D. couldn’t have taken
26. No other salesmen could know how to increase sales, but soon Tim
_______ a good solution.
A. came up with B. caught up with
C. kept up with D. put up with
27. There were no tickets _______ for Friday’s performance.
A. useful B. available C. helpful D. reasonable
28. As these goods are of different styles, the prices _______ 100 yuan to
A. vary B. come from C. range from D. differ
29. There was something wrong with our car, so we had to go _______ on foot
to the village.
A. all the way B. at all times
C. all the places D. all the roads
30. More and more students are _______ this modern type of instruction.
A. benefiting from B. comparing to
C. giving off D. setting out
31. ---- Excuse me, _______ you help me with the heavy thing?
---- Surely I _______.
A. must; could B. can; could
C. could; can D. would; need
32. ---- Tom, I’d like to have a talk with you at tea-break.
---- _______ Have what with me?
A. Yes, please. B. Sorry?
C. Thanks. D. You are welcome.
33. After several part-time jobs, he’s now got a _______ job in a bank.
A. precious B. scary C. specific D. stable
34. Scientists have found the _______ between lung cancer and smoking.
A. relationship B. disadvantage
C. circulation D. ecosystem
35. In cold climates, houses need to have walls that will _______ heat.
A. absorb B. float C. use D. contribute
The photo was in my mother’s bedroom. It showed a soldier with a gun. Below
the photo was the 36 “Speaking”.
“Who is that soldier 37‘Speaking’?” I asked one day.
My mother laughed. “It wasn’t his name,” she said. “His name was Harold. He
was my brother, my only brother. Harold was 18 when the war 38. I was 12 then
and my 39 were 10 and 9. Harold liked to play with us.”
“Did you 40 sometimes?” I asked.
“We often quarreled. That’s 41 the word ‘Speaking’comes from. When we
quarreled, we said, ‘I’m not speaking to you.’ But 42 the quarrel we were all 43
again; and then we said, ‘I’m speaking now. Are you speaking to me?’”
“When the war began, Harold joined the 44. A month later he came to see us.
He brought that gun to show us. Then he went miles away to the 45. We didn’t see
him for three years ? three long, 46 years. He didn’t often write letters. But
one day in May there was a 47 on the front door.”
“I ran to 48 it. It was Harold! He was an 49 Harold, a thinner Harold too.
He was a man. He looked at me with his two green eyes, and he 50. That smile was
just the same as before, and then he said one word: ‘51?’”
“I didn’t-I couldn’t-answer. I just fell into his arms, and he 52 his gun.
He stayed with us for a month. We played all our old 53 again. Then he went back
to the war.”
“We 54 saw him again. One day, a letter came. Harold was dead. I wrote the
word on the 55.”
36. A. word B. name C. mark D. sign
37. A. asked B. written C. meant D. called
38. A. happened B. ended C. began D. broke
39. A. brothers B. sisters C. cousins D. neighbours
40. A. play trick B. fight C. quarrel D. make fun
41. A. why B. where C. what D. how
42. A. during B. in C. before D. after
43. A. happy B. lucky C. boring D. sad
44. A. army B. camp C. club D. society
45. A. house B. bedroom C. door D. war
46. A. short B. busy C. empty D. free
47. A. man B. letter C. knock D. strike
48. A. watch B. open C. meet D. find
49. A. excited B. older C. ugly D. inspiring
50. A. cried B. jumped C. smiled D. shouted
51. A. Hello B. Pardon C. Dear D. Speaking
52. A. dropped B. lost C. fired D. sold
53. A. jokes B. matches C. games D. toys
54. A. often B. seldom C. sometimes D. never
55. A. wall B. notebook C. photo D. door