The McDonald’s fast-food company is facing legal（法律上的） action by people who say its food made them fat and sick. In New York city, legal action was recently brought (1) McDonald’s and four other fast-food companies.
The lawsuits（诉讼）charge (2) these companies have not (3) people that this kind of (4) could be harmful. About 170,000 American fast-food restaurants sell food that is (5) in fat, sugar and calories. They (6) potatoes cooked in oil and meat sandwiches called hamburgers. The restaurants also (7) sweet soft drinks.
One man charged that this kind of food (8) his health. He said he had heart attacks and (9) the disease diabetes (糖尿病). Several families say their children got fat on fast food (10) also developed diabetes. One of these teenagers weighs 180 kilograms.
Experts say Americans are now the (11) people in the world. Two years ago, the top government doctor (12) an increase in the number of Americans who are too fat. David Satcher said almost sixty percent of American adults weigh too much. Doctor Satcher (13) said thirteen percent of American (14) are too fat. He said the fast-food industry, schools and government agencies should (15) their policies. He said extreme overweight could become the nation’s leading (16) of preventable death.
A report published by the Center for the Public Interest says Americans (17) about half their food budgets（预算）on meals eaten (18) the home. Many eating places have (19) the size of their servings. And it is difficult to know the (20) of fat in the food served in restaurants. Processed foods sold in food stores are required to include this information.
1. A. against B. for C. at D. in
2. A. why B. what C. as D. that
3. A. advised B. suggested C. warned D. expected
4. A. vegetable B. food C. drinks D. meat
5. A. low B. high C. small D. large
6. A. include B. contain C. involve D. cover
7. A. buy B. provide C. feed D. serve
8. A. improved B. helped C. damaged D. hurt
9. A. developed B. advanced C. gained D. won
10. A. or B. and C. but D. nor
11. A. thinnest B. happiest C. poorest D. fattest
12. A. wrote B. discovered C. reported D. told
13. A. also B. yet C. ever D. even
14. A. children B. babies C. elders D. girls
15. A. remain B. leave C. change D. support
16. A. reason B. cause C. fact D. accident
17. A. waste B. take C. spend D. pay
18. A. inside B. round C. beside D. outside
19. A. fell B. rose C. reduced D. increased
20. A. number B. amount C. quality D. deal
Key: 1-5 ADCBB 6-10 ADCAB 11-15 DCAAC 16-20 BCDDB