1. Although research has shown that asparagus does contain many important nutrients, it is not, as it was once regarded, a panacea.
[A] (an) anomaly [B] delicacy [C] life-form [D] cure-all
2. The panorama from their porch encompassed a large part of the Rocky Mountains.
[A] cooking [B] view [C] TV screen [D] small patch of land
3. Most scholars agree that American composer George Gershwin's talent was largely self-developed.
[A] wealth [B] fame [C] ability [D] character
4. Ogden Nash was a famous writer of humorous and satirical verse.
[A] theatrical [B] ironic [C] comical [D] technical
5. Even when summer temperatures were above freezing and the top inches of earth became saturated with water, the soil below remained frozen into permafrost.
[A] enriched [B] dissolved [C] removed [D] soaked
6. Numbing terror overtook them as they witnessed the explosions.
[A] torpid [B] tantalizing [C] paralyzing [D] sentient
7. Soil comprises the surface layer of the Earth that nourishes and supports the growth of rooted plants.
[A] arranges [B] shelters [C] accepts [D] feeds
8. The comic routines of Stan Laruel and Oliver Hardy involved pantomime and novel use of props.
[A] original [B] appropriate [C] literal [D] funny
9. The racoon is a nocturnal animal.
[A] harmless [B] night [C] marsupial [D] diurnal
10. The extreme heat made everyone languid.
[A] listless [B] bothersome [C] selfish [D] gruff